Known as one of Melbourne’s more eclectic suburbs, Brunswick has personality (and cafes) in spades and since moving here last year I have never been short of things to do or eat. So, for anyone looking for something a bit alternative, I’ve rounded up some of my fave quirky things to do in Brunswick. From bloomin’ good brunches to Beyonce dance classes, cheap Middle Eastern eats and vintage fashion bargains – here are 15 reasons you might want to come visit!
15 quirky things to do in Brunswick
- Enjoy a continental feed for under a fiver at Lebanese bakery, deli and grocery store in one, A1 Bakery.
- Tuck into very good falalfel at, erm, Very Good Falafel.
- Eat even more Turkish treats at legendary kebab palace, Alasya.
- Get some custom fit jeans for under $50. (I‘m serious!)
- Get a body like Beyonce at Bey Yoga and Bey Party dance classes run by The Cultmunity.
- Try an Insta-worthy Fairy Floss Dessert Burger (yeah, not sure how they came up with that one either) or stack of Tim Tam Pancakes at Long Story Short.
- Trawl the op shops and second hand clothes stores for vintage bargains.
- See if you can haul your ass up the rock climbing walls at Brunswick Northside Boulders and North Walls.
- Gather all you girlfriends (or your granny) for an indulgent high tea experience at Mary Eats Cake.
- Shop for wedding dresses or OTT formal outfits at any number of the bridal boutiques lining Sydney Road.
- Have a go at Hip Hop Yoga – sounds ace doesn’t it!
- Buy freshly roasted gourmet coffee at Georges old-school dispensary.
- Soak up some of the great (and not so great) street art.
- Shop with the Greek and Italian nonnas at Mediterranean Wholesalers, Australia’s largest continental food store.
- Have a splash at Brunswick Baths and check out the interesting combo of man buns and budgie smugglers.
Plus my top 5 things to do in Brunswick
- Indulge in some of Brunswick’s finest brunches at the likes of Lux Foundry, Small Axe Kitchen and Wide Open Road.
- Partake in people-powered wine making and then drinking it at Noisy Ritual.
- Shop arts, crafts and clothes made by local creatives and check out the odd pop up art exhibition at The Boroughs.
- Eat all the bean-to-bar chocolate and melt-in-your-mouth brownies at cafe-cum-chocolate factory East Elevation.
- And discover all of the above, treating both your belly and the environment, on a walking tour of the best green cafes and sustainable businesses in Brunswick East.
Been to Brunswick? Got anything to add to my list?